Comment on this feature |
Email this feature |
News :: Labor
Proposed program for Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration in August 2007
by Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society
Email: info (nospam) saccoandvanzetti.org
20 Jun 2007
After a few meetings initiated by last year's Sacco and Vanzetti Parade from the Stony Brook Park to the Forest Hills Cemetery, the organizers of this year's commemoration events have come up with a proposed program. They have also decided to formalize an organization to take on this task for this year and beyond: the Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society. The society is open to all those individual and organizations that believe that it is important to keep the memory of these two working class anarchist organizers framed up and killed by the State of Massachusetts on August 23, 1927.
While the program becomes firm we have developed promotional flyers for people to save the date and to start raising awareness about the commemoration coming up. You can download them from our website http://saccoandvanzetti.org
Last year in August 27th, we held the first ever Sacco and Vanzetti Memorial Parade in Jamaica Plain, Boston, to remember Boston's radical history and to speak out against government repression of immigrants, anarchists and other social radicals. This year is the 80th anniversary of Sacco and Vanzetti's execution, and these issues are as relevant as ever.
We are planning memorial, protest and educational events from August 23rd to the 26th. and we hope that you will join in on the planning and organizing of these events.
This is what we have advanced so far:
We decided to constitute the Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society to carry out the organization of the events for this year and beyond.
The events will include:
1. Thursday, August 23th: Demonstration, March/Parade and Art Show/Music Festival. Start in Copley Square with music and art show, ending in the North End (Boylston to Charles to Beacon to Park to Washington through Government center and Fanueil Hall to NE) for a public meeting.
2. Friday, August 24th: Theater Festival (hopefully in East Cambridge area)
3. Saturday, August 25th: Film showing and speakers.
We are also interested in kicking off a campaign to dedicate a memorial or statue to Sacco and Vanzetti in Boston, and having some street theatre.
We are looking for endorsers to help us pull this memorial together. As proof of dedication to these events, we are asking endorsers to:
1. Send a delegate or member to the planning meetings
2. Donate $10 - $50 (sliding scale according to your possibilities) to cover the costs of putting the events on (photocopies, permits, website, etc) and
3. commit to doing outreach to your members, neighbors, friends etc.
Endorsers will be entitled to:
1. Their name on the endorsers list
2. At least 3 minutes of speaking time during the rally of 8/23
3. A table at the events
Please email us at info (at) saccoandvanzetti.org to endorse, lend a hand, for questions or for more information.
NEXT MEETING OF THE S&VCS MONDAY JUNE 18 AT 7PM -- 33 HARRISON AVENUE, CHINATOWN
This work licensed under a
Creative Commons license.