Comment on this article |
Email this article |
Stop The War! Change The World! (english)
Email: isoboston (nospam) yahoo.com
10 Mar 2003
An activist conference involving hundreds of radicals.
The Bush Administration is committed to waging a brutal war on the already devastated population of Iraq in spite of massive anti-war sentiment worldwide. Millions of people around the world and in the US have mounted the largest movement against war that has existed in 30 years. This international movement is showing the beginnings of an alternative to Bush's plan for a terrifying new world order.
While they pursue a war abroad, politicians and business leaders alike are waging a war right here in the US - on our livelihoods and civil rights. In the face of mass corporate layoffs, they want huge tax cuts for the super rich while making massive cuts in social services. They are literally cutting our "butter" to pay for their guns. The "good 'ol boy" Bush Administration is also using a racist divide and conquer strategy - by attacking affirmative action, expanding the use of the death penalty, and detaining Arab and Muslim immigrants without charges or trials. But there is also widespread and growing opposition to Bush's policies at home.
The war abroad and at home are causing people to question the nature of US society and to ask serious questions about how to change it. This year's East Coast Socialist Conference will focus on how we can oppose the Bush agenda abroad and in the US. As part of that opposition, workshops and panels will address the many political questions facing the movements, and will provide a place to discuss and debate the socialist case for transforming the entire system from one based on profit and greed to a real democracy based on human need.
Join hundreds of activists, socialists, and union members to discuss the struggles we are part of today, and how we can connect them to a fight for a truly humane world.
* Stop the War! Change the World! *
East Coast Socialist Conference
11am OPENING FORUM:
* The Bush Doctrine: Blueprint for a New American Empire
12:30-1:30pm Lunch Break
1:30pm WORKSHOP SESSION I:
* Detentions and Disappearances: Fighting the Attack on Immigrants
* Socialism and Women's Liberation
* Abolition Now! The Fight to Abolish the Death Penalty
* 1968: Lessons from the Student Rebellions
* White Man's Burden: The Bloody History of US Occupations
* Between Reform and Revolution: Where's Latin America Headed?
* Why the Working Class Can Change the World
3:30pm WORKSHOP SESSION II:
* Layoffs and Budget Cuts: Bush's War At Home
* Race, Class, and Socialism
* Can the UN be an Alternative to Bush's American Empire?
* The Struggle for Palestine
* Do Americans Benefit from the American Empire?
* Why We Need a Revolutionary Party
* The United Front: Socialist Strategies and Tactics for Building Democratic Movements
5-7pm Dinner Break
7PM CLOSING FORUM:
* The Fight for a New World: Reform, Revolution and the Socialist Alternative
Barnard College, 117th St. & Broadway, 1/9 trains to 116th St.
For more info: call (781-551-6649 or email isoboston (at) yahoo.com
or visit http://www.northeastsocialist.org
To reserve free, nearby childcare, please call by Tuesday March 25
sponsored by the International Socialist Organization