US Indymedia Global Indymedia Publish About us
Printed from Boston IMC :
IVAW Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier
Brad Presente

Other Local News

Spare Change News
Open Media Boston
Somerville Voices
Cradle of Liberty
The Sword and Shield

Local Radio Shows

WMBR 88.1 FM
What's Left
WEDS at 8:00 pm
Local Edition
FRI (alt) at 5:30 pm

WMFO 91.5 FM
Socialist Alternative
SUN 11:00 am

WZBC 90.3 FM
Sounds of Dissent
SAT at 11:00 am
Truth and Justice Radio
SUN at 6:00 am

Create account Log in
Comment on this article | View comments | Email this article | Printer-friendly version
News ::
Betrayal Behind Israeli Attack
07 Feb 2004
Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, a Pearl Harbor veteran who became chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the Vietnam War, died February 5, 2004. His efforts to have an Israeli attack that killed 37 American investigated by congress lie unfinished.
Houston chronicle, January 9, 2004

By Thomas Moorer
While State Department officials and historians converge on
Washington this week to discuss the 1967 war in the
Middle East, I am compelled to speak out about one of U.S.
history's most shocking cover-ups.

On June 8, 1967, Israel attacked our proud naval ship -- the USS
Liberty -- killing 34 American servicemen and wounding 172.
Those men were then betrayed and left to die by our own

U.S. military rescue aircraft were recalled -- not once, but
twice -- through direct intervention by the Johnson
administration. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara's
cancellation of the Navy's attempt to rescue the Liberty, which
I confirmed from the commanders of the aircraft carriers America
and Saratoga, was the most disgraceful act I witnessed in my
entire military career.

To add insult to injury, Congress, to this day, has failed to
hold formal hearings on Israel's attack on this American ship.
No official investigation of the attack has ever permitted
the testimony of the surviving crew members.

A 1967 investigation by the Navy, upon which all other reports
are based, has now been fully discredited as a cover-up by its
senior attorney. Capt. Ward Boston, in a sworn affidavit,
recently revealed that the court was ordered by the White House
to cover up the incident and find that Israel's attack was "a
case of mistaken identity."

Some distinguished colleagues and I formed an independent
commission to investigate the attack on the USS Liberty. After
an exhaustive review of previous reports, naval and other
military records, including eyewitness testimony from survivors,
we recently presented our findings on Capitol Hill. They include:

* Israeli reconnaissance aircraft closely studied the Liberty
during an eight-hour period prior to the attack, one flying
within 200 feet of the ship. Weather reports confirm the day was
clear with unlimited visibility. The Liberty was a clearly
marked American ship in international waters, flying an Ameri
can flag and carrying large U.S. Navy hull letters and numbers
on its bow.

* Despite claims by Israeli intelligence that they confused the
Liberty with a small Egyptian transport, the Liberty was
conspicuously different from any vessel in the Egyptian navy.
It was the most sophisticated intelligence ship in the world in
1967. With its massive radio antennae, including a large
satellite dish, it looked like a large lobster and was one of
the most easily identifiable ships afloat.

* Israel attempted to prevent the Liberty's radio operators from
sending a call for help by jamming American emergency radio

* Israeli torpedo boats machine-gunned lifeboats at close range
that had been lowered to rescue the most-seriously wounded.

As a result, our commission concluded that:

* There is compelling evidence that Israel's attack was a
deliberate attempt to destroy an American ship and kill her
entire crew.

* In attacking the USS Liberty, Israel committed acts of murder
against U.S. servicemen and an act of war against the United

* The White House knowingly covered up the facts of this attack
from the American people.

* The truth continues to be concealed to the present day in what
can only be termed a national disgrace.

What was Israel's motive in launching this attack? Congress must
address this question with full cooperation from the National
Security Agency, the CIA and the military intelligence services.

The men of the USS Liberty represented the United States. They
were attacked for two hours, causing 70 percent of American
casualties, and the eventual loss of our best intelligence ship.

These sailors and Marines were entitled to our best defense. We
gave them no defense.

Did our government put Israel's interests ahead of our own? If
so, why? Does our government continue to subordinate American
interests to Israeli interests? These are important questions
that should be investigated by an independent, fully empowered
commission of the American government.

The American people deserve to know the truth about this attack.
We must finally shed some light on one of the blackest pages in
American naval history. It is a duty we owe not only to the
brave men of the USS Liberty, but to every man and woman
who is asked to wear the uniform of the United States.
Thomas Moorer was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
from 1970 to 1974 and once was 7th Fleet commander. He is
joined in the Independent Commission of Inquiry by Rear Adm.
Merlin Staring, former judge advocate general of the Navy; and
Ambassador James Akins, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi
Arabia. Gen. Ray Davis, former assistant commandant of the
Marine Corps, a member of the commission at the time of his
death in September. For complete findings and the sworn affidavit of Capt. Ward Boston, go to

This work is in the public domain
Add a quick comment
Your name Your email


Text Format
Anti-spam Enter the following number into the box:
To add more detailed comments, or to upload files, see the full comment form.


Re: Betrayal Behind Israeli Attackrose
25 May 2004
From Rose John,
Lot 2264 Rue de Jardin Cocody,
Abidjan - Cote D'Ivoire,
West Africa.
Email ;

Dearest One,
Greetings to you.
Probably this message will sound so strange to you being the first time of reading my letter

In brief, I am ROSE JOHN from South Africa, but at the moment I am living here in Abidjan Cote D'Ivoire in west Africa for some couple of months for a contract. I am a young lady of 34, having the position of Marketing Agent in South Africa.
I was lucky to meet Mr. Richard Rouget on the 30th November 2002 in South Africa, however this young man is a France origin but nationalised in South Africa, what I was actually going to say is that Mr. Rouget told me on the same day that he was having a personal contract with President LAURENT GBAGBO of Cote D'Ivoire, for recruiting soldiers. In that he told me that since I am having the position of Marketing Agent, that I should take up the contract of supplying Arms to President GBAGBO.
Some weeks later, he took me down to Cote D'Ivoire here to sign with the President and carry out my duty. After every signatory has been done, President GBAGBO signed with the sum of (€ 5.9 m) Five million nine hundred thousand Euro cash, this money was arranged in a trunk box, the president advised us after the payment that we should not take the box to the bank, rather we should be taking the money little by little because this contract was not official, its personally for him.
The following day, Mr. Rouget brought an idea of depositing the box containing the money in a security house for safe keeping in order not to have any problem at the bank, we then agreed and take the box to a private security House, on getting there the box was declared and registered with the company as family treasures, after paying their daily charges for one month, Mr. Rouget instructed them to use my name as the owner, after that an agreement was signed with them which a copy was given to us, a lodgement receipt and payment receipt was also issued to us in my name, Mr. Rouget come to know all these because he was formerly in the France military before he nationalized in South Africa.
On my serious arrangement for the purchase of the arms, after a reconciliation accord held in France on the 25th and 26th January 2003 by the UN, EU and African Community, for the crises in Cote D'Ivoire. The President instructed us to hold on, but to my greatest surprise on early July 2003, he told me that he will be making a trip to South Africa, of which I disagreed but he couldn't hear my voice. On the 26th July 2003 I heard over the news that Mr. Rouget has been arrested at the Johannesbourg International airport South Africa, he was accused for being involved in training rebel soldiers, then on the 1st of August 2003 he was sentenced to five years imprisonment.
Today I have decided to have my way with the money out of Cote D'Ivoire to your country because I cannot go to South Africa. I am asking you to assist me in lifting this money to your country and also help me to re-locate there.
Now all the documents are with me and they are bearing my name, since Mr. Rouget is in prison and the president do not know my way about, so let us do this as early as possible.
As soon as I receive your positive response, we shall discuss your percentage for helping me. I will also forward to you my International passport for identification purpose.
Thanks and God bless you.
Truly Yours,