US Indymedia Global Indymedia Publish About us
Printed from Boston IMC : http://boston.indymedia.org/
Boston.Indymedia
IVAW Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier
Testimonies
Brad Presente

Other Local News

Spare Change News
Open Media Boston
Somerville Voices
Cradle of Liberty
The Sword and Shield

Local Radio Shows

WMBR 88.1 FM
What's Left
WEDS at 8:00 pm
Local Edition
FRI (alt) at 5:30 pm

WMFO 91.5 FM
Socialist Alternative
SUN 11:00 am

WZBC 90.3 FM
Sounds of Dissent
SAT at 11:00 am
Truth and Justice Radio
SUN at 6:00 am

Create account Log in
Comment on this article | Email this article | Printer-friendly version
News :: International
One Million Voices concerts cancelled: threats of violence
15 Oct 2007
Tel Aviv peace concert cancelled: Palestinian participants threatened
A highly instructive incident, where obstacles to Mideast peace are concerned. "Tel Aviv peace concert cancelled," by Etgar Lefkovits for the Jerusalem Post:
A Tel Aviv concert in support of a two-state solution, based on the 1967 lines, has been cancelled, organizers said Sunday.
The move comes just days after a simultaneous concert planned in the West Bank city of Jericho was called off due to security concerns.
The two events, which were scheduled to take place on Thursday, had been planned for over a year by the US-based One Voice organization as part of an international campaign to collect a million signatures in favor of an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement based on the 1967 lines.
A spokesman for the Tel Aviv office of the organization was not immediately available for comment.
The group had previously said as late as this weekend that the Tel Aviv concert would take place even after the Jericho event had been cancelled.
"For security reasons we cannot hold the concert at this time," Nisreen Shahin, Executive Director, One Voice Palestine said on Friday.
Shahin added that Palestinian participants had been threatened, and noted that the political situation in the Palestinian territories was too unstable for such an event at this time.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas issued a statement late Thursday distancing himself from the planned event, and emphasizing that his office had no connection to the concert.
Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat and his son are members of the group's honorary board of advisors, Shahin said.
The Jericho event had previously drawn criticism by a Palestinian terror organization, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, for its attempt to normalize ties with Israel.
A Palestinian internet posting had threatened to "wipe out" the Palestinian offices of the organization, a group spokeswoman said.

This work is in the public domain
Add a quick comment
Title
Your name Your email

Comment

Text Format
Anti-spam Enter the following number into the box:
To add more detailed comments, or to upload files, see the full comment form.