Comment on this article |
Email this article |
News :: War and Militarism
TURN IN THESE CIA FUGITIVES (PHOTO): They’ll get 5-8 Years
by Carolyn Keuhn
13 Nov 2009
An Italian judge on November 4, 2009, convicted 23 CIA agents and two Italian agents over their role in the 2003 kidnapping of a Muslim cleric. Milan judge Oscar Magi sentenced former Milan CIA station chief Bob Seldon Lady (on left in PHOTO with Luciano Pironi) to 8 years and 22 other agents (PHOTOS) to 5 years in prison for their role in the abduction of Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr, also known as Abu Omar. Also convicted was Air Force Colonel Joseph Romano (COLOR PHOTO), who was responsible for the CIA kidnapping team’s flight to Egypt from a U.S. air base in Italy.
These people are subject to arrest in most countries. CONTACT: Interpol, the international police agency, by email http://www.interpol.int/Public/mail/mail3.asp?id=fug&subject=00A9008C008 or at this FAX number in Switzerland: +33 4 72 44 71 63. (Refer to the warrant given in the Robert Lady photo caption.) Or contact your local or national police.
The US is shielding the perps, whose names and PHOTOS are shown below.
The rendition crime, famous as the Imam Rapito (kidnapped cleric) or Abu Omar (name of victim) affair, and subsequent legal proceedings have been covered best by John Crewdson, the Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter of the New York Times and Chicago Tribune http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=john+crewdson+chicago+t= and blogger Clayton Hallmark.
Nasr was allegedly abducted from a street in the northern Italian city of Milan and flown to Egypt where he was tortured. He was released in February, 2007, and apparently was an innocent man, never charged.
Citing diplomatic immunity, Magi acquitted three other Americans, including the CIA’s former chief in Italy, Jeff Castelli. The futigive Americans were tried in absentia. One of the convicted, Sabrina de Sousa (COLOR PHOTO), admits to being a criminal, but claims she also should have received diplomatic immunity.
Magi sentenced two former Italian secret agents, Luciano Seno and Pio Pompa, to three years in prison.
But he invoked state secrecy in ruling that ex-Italian spymaster Nicolo Pollari and former secret agent Marco Mancini would not stand trial. They were among five Italians acquitted in the case.
Prosecutors had asked for jail terms of 13 years for Pollari and 10 years for Mancini.
"Today’s sentence shows that our legal action was legitimate," said prosecutor Armando Spataro, commenting on Magi’s verdict.
The landmark trial, which began in June 2007, is the first involving the CIA’s so-called "extraordinary rendition" program.
Subsequent Italian governments, including the current conservative government led by Silvio Berlusconi, have refused or ignored prosecutors’ requests to extradite the American defendants to stand trial in Italy.
Magi ruled the trial should continue after Italy’s highest court declared some key evidence inadmissible because it was considered classified.
Pollari and several other former Italian secret service officials invoked state secrecy and refused to testify at the trial. Pollari resigned over the affair.
Nasr’s wife Ghali Nabila last month claimed 5 million euros in compensation, while lawyers acting for Nasr sought 10 million euros in compensation for the distress he and his family suffered. Robert Lady’s house in Asti has been awarded to Omar.
Nasr was suspected of recruiting Muslim fighters to train in Afghanistan.
The Americans charged were:
1) ADLER Monica Courtney [ Adler is real name, alias Maria Luana Baetz, also involved in the thwarted rendition of Mullah Krekar in Norway later in 2003 and in the actual rendition of Khaled el-Masri in January 2004. Apparently there is a full-time traveling snatch team, and Baetz/Adler is or was part of it. By some reports, during the Clinton administration Baetz/Adler was professionally involved with banker Jorge Castro Barredo, a Cuban-born Venezuelan who contributed financially to Democratic Party election campaign funds and was involved in cases of fraud and money-laundering ]
Born in Seattle (Washington - USA) on 02/02/1973, US citizen with US passport n. 017017139 (issued on 07.25.01), international driver’s license n. 66605387, issued by US Authority in Heatrow (Florida) on 04.03.2002, Diners Club credit card n. 38541798540000 (expiry date May/2004), resident at 2001 N.Adams, Arlington - VIRGINIA - 22201.
2) ASHERLEIGH Gregory, born in Hyattsville - Maryland (USA) on 12/23/1955, Coachmen Enterprises Washington, DC P.O. Box 91228 Washington DC (USA) or STS Inc. P.O. Box 1606 Hyattsville (Maryland) 20788 (USA), telephone number 3015953823; US citizen with US passport n. 015135635, issued on 06.04.96; US driver’s licence n. 66605685; Visa Card credit card n. 4118160311575248 (expiry date June/2005)
3) CARRERA Lorenzo Gabriel, born in Texas (USA) il 01.29.71, US citizen with US passport n. 016422583, issued on 02.12.95, or n. 016422583, issued on 01.28.00; Visa Card credit card n. 4118160306976955 (expiry date October/2005) and Diners Club credit card n. 38502203140000 (expiry date October/2004)
4) CASTALDO Eliana, born in Florida (USA) on 11/14/1969, P.O. Box 1041 Norristown 19404 PA (USA), telephone number 6102786893. US citizen with US passport n. 026138038 issued on 11.02.98; Visa Card credit card n. 4118165006438370 (expiry date February/2005);
5) CASTELLANO Victor, born in Texas (USA) on 05/01/1968, P.O. Box 41471 Arlington VA 22204, US citizen with US passport n. 015914097 (issued on 07.14.97), Diners Club credit card n. 38184636950006 (expiry date December/2004) and Visa Card credit card n. 4118160152726694 (expiry date March/2005);
6) Jeffrey CASTELLI (acquited), the head of CIA in Italy at the time (chief of station in Rome), now believed to be working at CIA headquarters in Virginia;
7) CHANNING Drew Carlyle, born in New York (USA) on 04/26/1965, US citizen with US passport n. 017121103, issued on 06.10.02; Diners Club credit card n. 385030097360001 (expiry date April/2005)
8) Sabrina DE SOUSA (COLOR PHOTO), State Department diplomat, helped make false documents to mislead investigators;
9) DUFFIN John Kevin, born in Illinois (USA) on 05/03/1952, P.O. Box 60031 19406 King of Prussia PA (USA) or 649 South Henderson Rd, King of Prussia - 19406 PA or at Krauss Nannette 329 Prince Frederick St - King of Prussia, PA 19406 (tel. 6102650563); US citizen with US passport n. 016434535 issued on 09.15.99 (copy acquired), Diners Club credit card n. 38650098880006 (expiry date April/2005), Visa Card credit card n. 4118165007626908 (expiry date March/2005);
10) FALDO VINCENT, d.o.b. 11.1.1950 in Massachussetts (USA), US passport nr 102026001 issued in Boston on 6.7.2000;
11) GURLEY John Thomas, born in Los Angeles (USA) on 07/10/1969, 2783 Lb Mcloud Rd 32805 Orlando (USA), US citizen with US passport n. 045029843, issued on 12.10.99; Visa Card credit card n. 4118160151941278 (expiry date December/2004)
12) HARBAUGH Raymond, born in Alaska (USA) on 06.09.39, Box 73 Newington 22122 VA (USA), US citizen with US passport n. 016136600, issued on 03.17.99; Visa Card credit cards n. 4486025001058371 (expiry date June/2005), n. 4316440000154988 (expiry date March/2003);
13) HARBISON James Thomas, d.o.b. 12.15.1948 in the USA
14) HARTY Ben Amar, born in Iowa (USA) on 10.20.44, Box 73 Newington 22122 VA (USA), US citizen with US passport n. 017120164, issued on 11.09.2001 and valid until 11.09.07; Visa Card credit cards n. 4486029500095512 (expiry date June 2003) and 4316440000221555 (expiry date March/2003), SPG card (Special Preferred Guest Westin Palace), type “A”, n. 50426336577
15) IBANEZ Brenda Liliana, born in New York (USA) on 01.07.60, Coachmen Enterprises Washington, DC P.O. Box 91228 Washington DC (USA). Telephone number in Washington DC. 2026823098; US citizen with US passport n. 017018953; Visa Card credit card n. 4118165007635784 (expiry date aprile/2003) and Delta Airlines Frequent flyer card n. 2349251336;
16) JENKINS Anne Lidia, born in Florida on 09/24/1946, US citizen with US passport n. 016698784 (copy acquired), issued on 06.28.01 by the Passport Agency in Washington, and valid until 06.27.2011;
17) KIRKLAND James Robert, born in Tennessee (USA) on 07.13.42, US citizen with US passport n. 045032045, issued on 10.01.1998 by the Passport Agency in Miami, expiry date 30.9.2008; Diners Club credit card n. 38541799470009 (expiry date January /2004) [This person]
18) LADY Robert Seldon (left in WANTED POSTER), born in Tegucigalpa (Honduras) on 21.05.54, US citizen, domiciled or resident in via Don Bosco n. 40, in Penango (AT), Italy; since fled to Tegucigalpa, Honduras, and Punta Gorda, Florida, USA, and New York City, USA. Robert Seldon Lady was listed as a General Consul of the USA in Milan from Sep. 1, 2000 until Jan. 1, 2004, during which time he was a spy for the CIA, retiring from the CIA about the latter date.
19) LOGAN Cyntia Dame, born in Maryland (USA) on 05/01/1960; Coachmen Enterprises Washington, DC P.O. Box 91228 Washington DC (USA). US citizen with US passport n. 016430730 (copy acqured), issued on 01.03.2000 by the Passport Agency in Washington, Visa Card credit card n. 4118165007635768 (expiry date April/2003), SPG card (Special Preferred Guest Westin Hotel), type “A”, n. 50556297010, United Airlines Frequent flyer card n. 01394828870;
20) MEDERO-NAVEDO Betnie, d.o.b 3.29.1967 in the USA, US passport nr 016051676 issued on 4.27.1988; Second Secretary at the U.S. embassy in Italy at the time of the kindapping; now First Secretary at the U.S. embassy in Mexico
21) PURVIS L. George, born in China on 05.29.59, 21008 Matchlock Ct 20147 Ashburn - Virginia (USA), US citizen with US passport n. 015645726, issued on 05.20.97; Master Card credit card n. 5466160067501849 (expiry date March/2003); email address “loiep53 [at] aol.com”; United Airlines Frequent flyer card n. 01208942316; Hilton Honors card n. 441369809
22) RUEDA Pilar, born in California (USA) on 05.08.61, P.O.Box 80027 Washington D.C. 20618 (USA); US citizen with US passport n. 016518173, issued on 02.27.01; Visa Card credit card n. 4118165007854492 (expiry date September/2003); SPG card (Special Preferred Guest Westin Hotel), type “A”, n. 50426336887,
23) Ralph Henry RUSSOMANDO; helped make false documents to mislead investigators;
24) SOFIN Joseph, born in Moldova on 02/13/1953, P.O. 4173 Arlington 22203 VA (USA), telephone number 7032185346, or Blake Lane Fairfax Virginia; US citizen with US passport n. 016138217 issued on 11.18.99; Diners Club credit card n. 38643304300000; SPG card (Special Preferred Guest Westin Hotel), type “A”, n. 716587012;
25) VASILIOU Michalis born in Greece on 11.05.62, US citizen with US passport n. 015456173, issued on 10.11.1995.
U.S. AIR FORCE DEFENDANT :
1) Col. Joseph L. ROMANO III (left in COLOR PHOTO), Commander of the 31st Security Police Squadron at the Aviano Air Base at the time, now working at Section 31P of the Pentagon or at Maxwell AFB in Alabama. An avid golfer all over the world at taxpayer expense.
ITALIAN DEFENDANTS (Only first seven are currently charged. The last two plea-bargained.):
1) General Nicolò Pollari, former director of the Italian secret service, SISMI 2) Marco Mancini, SISMI, director of operations under Gen. Pollari 3) Raffaele Ditroia, SISMI station chief: direct role in abduction 4) Luciano Di Gregorio, SISMI station chief: direct role in abduction 5) Giuseppe Corra, SISMI station chief: direct role in abduction 6) Pio Pompa, SISMI: aiding and abetting abduction 7) Luciano Seno, SISMI: aiding and abetting abduction 8) Renato Farina, former reporter: Plea-bargained and received reduced sentence. 9) Luciano Pironi ( right in PHOTO with Robert Lady), marshall of the Carabinieri (paramilitary) police: Plea-bargained and received 21-month sentence.
Click on image for a larger version
Click on image for a larger version
Click on image for a larger version
Click on image for a larger version
This work is in the public domain