Comment on this article |
Email this article |
For a European Anti-Crisis Front
by Eric Toussaint
Email: mbatko (nospam) yahoo.com
14 Apr 2013
Eric Toussaint is president of the Committee for the Cancellation of Third World Debt.
o read Eric Toussaint's "For a European Anti-Crisis Front" published in July 2012, click on
Lowering the public debt burden is not an end-in-itself. Debts could serve to stimulate the economy and improve the living conditions of the victims of the crisis. Debt reduction must occur by increasing the (tax) revenues (through higher tax rates and combating tax evasion), not only by reducing spending. Stopping the austerity measures has absolute priority.
1. The austerity plans must be stopped.
They are unjust and intensify the crisis. Stopping the austerity measures has absolute priority - with mass mobilizations on the street, strikes and civil disobedience.
2. The illegitimate public debts should be cancelled.
3. Redistribute wealth justly.
4. Fighting tax havens
5. Shrivel the financial markets
6. Banks and insurances must be under public authority and public control.
7. Cancelling the privatizations since 1980
With the privatizations of the last 30 years, governments lost the ability to regulate the economy. New public enterprises must be created and their production adjusted to the needs of the population.
8. Radical reduction of working hours to ensure full employment and a more socially just income policy
9. State borrowing - for what?
10. Discussing the euro
11. Another solidarian European Union
VIDEO: "The capitalist system needs patriarchal domination," Eric Toussaint, 17 min, Jan 2013