US Indymedia Global Indymedia Publish About us
Printed from Boston IMC : http://boston.indymedia.org/
Boston.Indymedia
IVAW Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier
Testimonies
Brad Presente

Other Local News

Spare Change News
Open Media Boston
Somerville Voices
Cradle of Liberty
The Sword and Shield

Local Radio Shows

WMBR 88.1 FM
What's Left
WEDS at 8:00 pm
Local Edition
FRI (alt) at 5:30 pm

WMFO 91.5 FM
Socialist Alternative
SUN 11:00 am

WZBC 90.3 FM
Sounds of Dissent
SAT at 11:00 am
Truth and Justice Radio
SUN at 6:00 am

Create account Log in
Comment on this article | View comments | Email this article | Printer-friendly version
News :: International
Afghan Prez Karzai To Speak At BU Commencement
10 May 2005
Modified: 12:36:52 PM
Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai, is scheduled to speak at the May 22, 2005 commencement at Boston University. Massachusetts Democratic Senator John Kerry will also be given an honorary degree at the Boston University commencement ceremony.
For Release Upon Receipt - May 6, 2005
Contact: Kevin Carleton, 617/353-2240, carleton (at) bu.edu


AFGHANISTAN PRESIDENT HAMID KARZAI TO SPEAK AT BOSTON UNIVERSITY'S 132ND COMMENCEMENT MAY 22

(Boston) – Hamid Karzai, a staunch ally of the United States who recently won Afghanistan’s first-ever presidential election, will deliver the main commencement address at Boston University’s 132nd graduation ceremonies at Nickerson Field Sunday, May 22, at 11 a.m. Karzai will speak before more than 5,000 graduates and some 20,000 guests at New England’s largest graduation ceremony before traveling to Washington to meet with President George W. Bush.

BU President ad interim Aram Chobanian announced the full line-up of speakers and honorary degree recipients to the members of the Class of 2005 this morning at the annual Senior Breakfast, held on campus in the George Sherman Union.

“President Karzai has been a shaping force in his country,” said Dr. Chobanian. “He supported Afghanistan’s independence from the Soviet Union while eschewing the extremism of the Taliban. He bravely took on the leadership of his country’s transitional administration before his election as president. His efforts to unite and rebuild his country benefit not only Afghanistan, but also the entire world. His exemplary leadership represents democracy at its finest, and we are honored that he will be joining us.”

Chobanian also announced that Dr. Shirley Ann Jackson, a theoretical physicist who for the past six years has served as president of Rensselaer Poyltechnic Institute in New York, will deliver the baccalaureate sermon on commencement day. She will speak at Marsh Chapel during the 9 a.m. service.

President Karzai and Dr. Jackson will each receive an honorary degree during the main ceremony. Also receiving honorary degrees are two figures from American politics, U.S. Senator John F. Kerry of Massachusetts and former New Jersey governor and administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Christy Todd Whitman; artist and former BU teacher David Aronson; and businessmen John Henry, principal owner of the Boston Red Sox; and Edward Zander, chairman and CEO of Motorola.



— 30 —

(Note to Media: Details on security issues and other factors pertaining to this event and its coverage will be distributed to you in the coming days.)

This work is in the public domain
Add a quick comment
Title
Your name Your email

Comment

Text Format
Anti-spam Enter the following number into the box:
To add more detailed comments, or to upload files, see the full comment form.

Comments

Re: Afghan Prez Karzai To Speak At BU Commencement
10 May 2005
who cares?
Re: Afghan Prez Karzai To Speak At BU Commencement
10 May 2005
Of course you don't care. He's in favor of Democracy.
Re: Afghan Prez Karzai To Speak At BU Commencement
10 May 2005
Democracy is where 51% of the population orders the other 49% to the gas chambers.

I'm in favor of freedom.
Re: Afghan Prez Karzai To Speak At BU Commencement
10 May 2005
welcome to trollville
Re: Afghan Prez Karzai To Speak At BU Commencement
11 May 2005
Karzai is the UNOCAL man put in charge of occupied Afghanistan to make sure the long sought after natural gas pipeline from the Capsian Sea could be built. And then, surprise surprise, he was elected by "the people" in an election held under US occupation. (If they don't count the votes here, do you think they count them in Afghanistan or Iraq?) Oh yeah, he also needs to insure that US orders are followed.

But not a surprising choice for BU with its long history with Silber at the helm... and who better to instruct the graduating students in how to follow the orders of the empire, and in what lucrative rewards for "good behavior" may follow?
democracy?
11 May 2005
karzai is an oil exec installed as head of state by an invading (and still occupying) military. real democratic!
Re: Afghan Prez Karzai To Speak At BU Commencement
12 May 2005
Life under the Taliban was better.