Comment on this article |
Email this article |
Boston IMC General Meeting Minutes Sept. 28
Email: kellan (nospam) protest.net
29 Sep 2000
We need volunteers to man the space, and sell videos. We need people excited about going out into the streets and doing independent coverage. We have lots of projects being for people.
Thanks to everyone who could come out this evening. We dealt with some important issues in terms of how to better facilitate communication between journalists who are covering the same event and also brainstormed several great ideas.
We need journalists and anyone else who is interested to help make the IMC operational logistically. It would be great if everyone could committ to volunteering for at least 2 hours over the course of the next 5 days for at least one of the areas listed below. Sign up sheets will be available at the front desk of the IMC.
Front Desk Receptionist - handle all incoming calls, call journalists to remind them about coverage or to do turn out for a particular event if it's not being covered. 10am-midnight Friday through Tuesday
Registration- Help people register, give them the IMC packet, check in equipment
Badge Maker- take photos and laminate badges.
Security- We need to secure the space. This involves sitting at the front door and making sure people have badges before they enter.
Orientation- Help introduce new comers to the IMC. Give them a brief overview of the IMC and a tour and introduce them to the team coordinators or at least people working on the team they are interested in.
2. Rules: We went over them, they are posted on the door when you walk in. Please follow them so the space is not in jeopardy of being shut down.
3. Editorial Collective - We would like everyone to participate in deciding what goes on the highlights section of the website. If you are interested in participating please post to the list.
4. Teams: We went over the four different medium teams and agreed that photo and print should hook up and work together. We also created a new team of people to work on responding to the mainsteam press's "lies" or half told truths. We then broke out into groups one for mainstream press and one for print and photo.
1. PDF Newssheet for the Nader Event
2. PDF Newssheet for the morning of O3
3. 8 Page tabloid for O4
(a more detailed description will come out tomorrow.
5. We found a second volunteer to help with website updating. One more might not be bad just to be on the safe side. Contact Patrick at patreck (at) yahoo.com for info.
6. After O3
We brainstormed a list of ideas in addition to ones that have already been proposed.
-target specific local issues
-have imc boston serve a meta-org to network existing indy media outlets in boston, specifically neighborhood newspapers
-outreach to people of color
-college outreach via internships
7. Needs/Equipment: Check out www.boston.indymedia.org at the top of the screen there is link called equipment needs. Check out the list. We definitely need some high end computers. If you could donate a laptop or desktop for the next couple of days that would help us out immensely. We also need food. If you work in restuarant, try asking for donations. We would like to feed imcer's every night starting saturday through tuesday evening.
We have videos that need to be sold in order raise money. If you have a car and would be willing to attend the Death Penalty Teach-in at UMASS tomorrow evening or the Student Power Conference at MIT on saturday please let us know. We will also have a table at the Nader event and will be selling tapes outside the event. Please call the office and let us know if you can help out with this.
We will also be asking incoming journalists to donate $5-10 to help pay for basic costs of keeping this place operational. Please donate if you can.
We will be having IMC screenings after O3 to help cover costs, please help spread the word when they happen.
The next general meeting will be tomorrow at 8pm. We will also be having an orientation meeting at 7pm for people who have not yet attended a general meeting. Please come if you can.