Comment on this article |
View comments |
Email this article |
June 8 Boston event for Jeff Luers
by Friends of Free
Email: freefreenow (nospam) mutualaid.org
31 May 2004
This is a June 8 event in Boston and a June 18th event in Worcester as part of the International Day of Action and Solidarity with Jeff 'Free' Luers.
On June 8th, Boston Anarchist Black Cross will be screening Green with A Vengeance and hosting a release party for political prisoner David Gilbert's latest book, No Surrender [Abraham Guillen Press-2004]
Location/time to be announced.
Contact: ABC-Boston (at) hush.com
June marks the fourth year that our friend and comrade, Jeff "Free" Luers has been imprisoned and held captive by the state. Sentenced to 22 years and 8 months for burning three Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) at Romania Chevrolet in Eugene, Jeff has continued to be active in prison and fight back with his words and inspiration. This June 12, we aim to strengthen his efforts by promoting a day of action and solidarity with Jeff throughout the world.
This day will mean many things to many people - we say do what fits your local situation and your desires. Some ideas are film screenings, protests at SUV dealerships, wheat-pasting campaigns, letter writing and outreach, music shows and direct actions. The important thing is that you ask yourself: will this action help Jeff's situation? Remember that what we do on the outside has an impact on his life on the inside-sometimes its positive and sometimes negative. Consider this crucial bit of information when planning your event.
There is no central organizing body or group to check in with but the J12 Organizing Committees can help by providing you with flyers, graphics, and merchandise such as videos, zines and stickers about Jeff's case. It is imperative that you be able to speak about Jeff's case if you do a public event. Take some time and read about it on our website www.freefreenow.org
Jeff's imprisonment and sentence is without a doubt, intolerable but keep in mind that his sentence is yours as well. It is meant as a deterrent to social and environmental movements all over. Let us not forget that when you fight with Free for his freedom - you fight for yourselves and your freedom.
There will be events in many US cities and potentially in countries as diverse as England, Australia, Finland, Brazil, Russia and more. There is already a large public outreach event planned for Eugene, which will involve speakers, music and more. If you choose to hold a public event, email us and we can include the event on the website as well as include your information in outreach materials. After the day, you can send us write-ups, photos and updates and that too can be posted online. Many people have emailed us about a desire to do more for Jeff - this is the perfect time to show your solidarity.
Friends of Jeff 'Free' Luers freefreenow (at) mutualaid.org
Break the Chains, P.O. Box 12122, Eugene, OR 97440 breakthechains02 (at) yahoo.com www.breakthechains.net
Free's Defense Network, POB 3, Eugene, OR 97440
June 12 Events [Note-All events will take place on June 12 unless specifically stated].
* The Flagship Event is in Eugene, Oregon. Break the Chains and Free's Defense Network will be hosting a huge event at the Wow Hall, 8th Avenue and Lincoln at 7PM featuring Ramona Africa, Blackfire, Claude Marks and supporters of Free. Read details here. Contact: breakthechains02 (at) yahoo.com
* San Francisco, California- On Friday June 4th, the Autonomous Collective is hosting the Night of Support and Resistance to benefit Jeff "Free" Luers and other earth liberation prisoners. Followed by a spokescouncil in preparation for the Reclaim the Commons mobilization and the 'Free Free' state to be established on June 5th. Contact: autonomous (at) mutualaid.org or 415-867-6362.
* Boston, Mass-On June 8th, Boston Anarchist Black Cross will be screening Green with A Vengeance and hosting a release party for political prisoner David Gilbert's latest book, No Surrender [Abraham Guillen Press-2004] Location/time to be announced. Contact: ABC-Boston (at) hush.com
* Cincinnati, Ohio- Cincinnati Anti-Authoritarians are hosting an event with a letter writing session, a discussion about Jeff's case and prisoner support in general. More details to be announced shortly. Contact: thefemalespecies (at) hotmail.com
* Modesto, California- Direct Action Anti-Authoritarians will be hosting a benefit. Contact: modanarcho (at) yahoo.com
* Lawrence, Kansas- Lawrence Anarchist Black Cross will be holding a rally in support of Free 1PM at the Douglas County Courthouse (11th and Massachusetts) and a screening of Green with A Vengeance at the Lawrence Public Library (7th and Vermont) at 4PM. View flyer here.
* Portland, Maine- Political Prisoner Night, 7PM at the People's Free Space, 547 A Congress St. #32. We will be showing the video "Green with a Vengeance" and discussing strategies for supporting Free. Contact: 207-879-2699 or info@peoplesfreespace
* Morgantown, West Virginia-This huge event starts with a free-to-all community dinner, then a showing of Green with a Vengance, an all ages show with the Law Biting Citizens, Without Eyes and ScuZard. After that, there will be a screening of the documentary, pickAxe and then an 18 and over bar encore with M Iafrate, Fairweather Fan and one band to be announced. View flyer. Location: 123 Pleasant Street Space. Contact: georgewhayduke (at) hotmail.com
* Lake Worth, Florida-screening and benefit. Contact: Downward Mobility Po Box 961, Lake Worth, FL 33460 (561) 547-6686 or littleprince1 (at) juno.com
* Olympia, Washington- people are participating in World Naked Bike Ride Day in support of Jeff.
* Worcester, Massachusetts On June 18, Massachusetts Earth First! will be hosting an event at the Spacement [76 Harding Street]. The night will consist of Food not Bombs dinner, showing of Green with A Vengeance, discussion, and a big open mike and dance party. Food will be out around 6, film and discussion around 7 and party at 8:30. Contact: anne (at) riseup.net
* Brighton, United Kingdom- Brighton ABC will be hosting a fund raising roast dinner in the Cowley Club. We will be printing off leaflets and possibly having a window display in the Club and showing the video Green with a Vengeance. Contact: genea (at) wildcat.co.uk
* Bradford, United Kingdom is hosting a screening of Green With a Vengeance plus a benefit meal and talk about Free, plus prisoner solidarity in general at the 1in12 club. View flyer. Contact: re-pressed (at) riseup.net
* Norwich, United Kingdom- Now or Never magazine will be leaf letting about about Free at the Norfolk Anarchist Bookfair.
* Lisbon, Portugal music, vegan food and spoken word to benefit Free's legal defense. Contact: sparksofwardistribution (at) yahoo.co.uk
* Melbourne, Australia- Melbourne Anarchist Black Cross will be holding a international solidarity rally for Jeff, 11:30AM, Corner of Bourke and Swanston Street city [opposite Nike]. Contact: abcmelb (at) yahoo.com.au
* Leeds, United Kingdom- On June 20th, Green with A Vengeance will be shown as part of the monthly 'Incitement 2...' Leeds radical film showings. Ex-anarchist prisoner Mark Barnsley will be speaking at this event too. 7.30pm upstairs at the Packhorse Pub, Woodhouse lane,Leeds. Contact: re-pressed (at) riseup.net
* Edinburgh, Scotland- On June 15, the Bilston Glen Collective will be organizing a solidarity action for Jeff outside of the U.S. Consulate, 3 Regent Terrace at 4PM and a screening of Green With A Vengeance, 8PM at The Forest Cafe, 3 Bristo Place. Contact: krajmfink (at) hotmail.com
* Turku, Finland On June 5th, Palava porkkana [Burning carrot] will be hosting a benefit dinner and a screening of Green with A Vengeance and on June 12, activists will flyer about Jeff's case. Event starts at 6PM  at Vanha suurtori 3. Contact: digit (at) oikeuttaelaimille.net
* Edmonton, Alberta tba
This work is in the public domain
Re: June 8 Boston event for Jeff Luers
by boston abc
abc-boston (nospam) hush.com (unverified)
01 Jun 2004
They Are In There For Us - We Are Out Here For Them.
Political Prisoner Film Screening and Book Release
Hosted by the Boston Anarchist Black Cross (ABC)
Tuesday, June 8th, 7pm
@ the Lucy Parson Center
"Green With A Vengance" - 40 minutes
In June of 2000 in Eugene, Oregon, 22-year-old forest defense activist Jeffrey "Free" Luers was sentenced to an astonishing 22.5 years in prison for the burning of three SUVs and an attempted arson. Free has appealed his case and is in need of funds to help pay legal costs. After more than 3 years of imprisonment, Free has continued to participate in the movement through his writings and website.
Olivia Rousset, an Australian videographer and journalist, produced this video report for Dateline Australia back in 2001 on the "Earth Liberation Front." Features some of the only video footage of Free in prison, plus interviews with Professor Bron Taylor, former ELF spokesperson Craig Rosebraugh and anarchist-author John Zerzan. This is one of the best pieces on the US ecological defense movement and Jeff's case.
"No Surrender: selected writings of an anti-imperialist political prisoner"
by David Gilbert
Published by Abraham Guillen Press & Arm The Spirit
A founder of Columbia University Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) and a veteran of the Civil Rights and anti-Vietnam War movements, David Gilbert joined the Weather Underground organisation in the late '60s. After more than 10 years of clandestine resistance, he was captured in the course of an armed action in 1981. Gilbert has been a revolutionary political prisoner, continuing his work as an AIDS activist and author from behind the walls.
This first collection of David Gilbert's prison writings is a unique contribution to our understanding of the most ambitious and audacious attempts by white anti-imperialists to build an underground movement "within the belly of the beast." With unsparing honesty (and unfailing humor), he discusses the errors and successes of the WUO and its allies; the pitfalls of racism, sexism and ego in revolutionary organizations; and the possibilities and perils facing today's growing anti-imperialist resistance.
"No Surrender" is both an analysis of the past and a vision of our collective future. And more. It is the intensely personal, harrowing true story of a captive revolutionary, struggling to maintain an active political life deep inside America's repressive prisons, where principle is his only weapon and surrender is not an option. It's not an easy book; it's not an easy path. But it is one we all need to know, to honor, and to understand.
Copies of "No Surrender" will be available for $15.
Lucy Parsons Center
549 Columbus Avenue
Train: Orange Line - Mass Ave
Bus: Route 1 - Columbus Ave
Boston Anarchist Black Cross
ABC-Boston (at) hush.com